Newport, Rhode Island is a beautiful coastal city known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant waterfront. Here are some things to do in Newport:
1. Explore The Breakers: Visit this magnificent mansion, one of the most famous Newport mansions and a National Historic Landmark. It offers a glimpse into the Gilded Age and the opulent lifestyle of the Vanderbilt family.
2. Tour the Newport Mansions: Besides The Breakers, Newport is home to several other grand mansions, including Marble House, Rosecliff, and The Elms. Take guided tours to admire the incredible architecture, lavish interiors, and expansive gardens.
3. Stroll along the Cliff Walk: This scenic 3.5-mile path runs along the coastline, offering breathtaking views of the ocean and access to some of the mansions. It's a great way to enjoy nature and soak up the beauty of Newport.
4. Visit Fort Adams State Park: Explore the historic Fort Adams, which was once one of the most strategic forts in the United States. Take a guided tour, learn about its military history, and enjoy panoramic views of Narragansett Bay.
5. Discover Newport's Historic District: Take a leisurely walk through the city's historic district, known for its well-preserved colonial architecture. Highlights include the Touro Synagogue, the oldest synagogue in the U.S., and the Redwood Library, the oldest lending library in America.
6. Take a Sailboat Cruise: Newport's harbor is renowned for its sailing heritage. Hop aboard a sailboat cruise to experience the thrill of sailing and enjoy stunning views of the coastline and Newport's mansions from the water.
7. Explore the International Tennis Hall of Fame: Tennis enthusiasts will enjoy a visit to this prestigious museum, which honors the sport's greatest players and chronicles its history. You can even play on the grass courts if you're up for a game.
8. Visit the Newport Art Museum: Immerse yourself in the local art scene at the Newport Art Museum. The museum features a diverse collection of American art, exhibitions by local and regional artists, and art classes.
9. Relax at Newport's Beaches: Newport offers several beautiful beaches, such as Easton's Beach (also known as First Beach) and Sachuest Beach (also known as Second Beach). Spend a day lounging in the sun, swimming, or enjoying water sports.
10. Enjoy the Newport Harbor Walk: Take a leisurely stroll along the waterfront, known as the Newport Harbor Walk. Explore the shops, art galleries, restaurants, and cafes while enjoying the bustling harbor atmosphere.
These are just a few of the many things to do in Newport, Rhode Island. The city offers a wonderful mix of history, natural beauty, and coastal charm that makes it a popular destination for visitors.